Saturday, August 14, 2010

On Accessories and Maria Callas (No. 1)


I have just come from the most highly-anticipated show of Philippine theater this year... Cherie Gil's reprisal of the lead role in Terence McNally's MASTER CLASS. She played no other than La Divina, the Diva of all divas herself... Maria Callas.

In the award-winning play, Maria Callas utters this sage advice (among several other bon mots) to aspiring student singers:

"If you want to be remembered, you've got to have a look. You have a very fine face and figure, I'm sure, but you don't have a look. How do you expect people to remember you? There are thousands... no, millions of you out there, and you all look the same. You've got to have a signature!"

Now, this might have been uttered to would-be opera singers, but I'm pretty sure that this is something all of us can learn from. After all, we wouldn't want to dissolve into the sea of humanity ALL the time. There is a difference between "disappearing into" a crowd, and "blending in." Of course, there are situations wherein we purposefully dress down (like when we know we're commuting to a potentially hazardous location), but even the simplest outfit can be dressed up just by adding a simple accessory or two. You can simply bring along some earrings or a scarf in your handbag, and put them on when you're in more civilized territory. :)

Here is the first of a collection of pictures of the famous soprano, and what I liked (style-wise):




See how wearing two contrasting solid colors (navy blue shawl against a snow white dress) can dramatically change one's look? And see how classy drop earrings look when paired with a simple yet elegant coiffure! They draw attention to the face. Let's not forget, ladies, that the most important accessory we can have is our facial expression!



Pictures taken from here.

5 comments:

  1. This entry is so Gabi haha. Wow Maria Callas is small framed. I always thought girls with fuller figures sing better. Haha. This look suits everyone who has good bone structure (all of the face is seen, you cant hide behind your hair). What's your signature look? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Actually, Callas was "fat and ugly" (using her own description) when she started singing, but then over the space of a year (?) she lost something like 30 kilos. Sobrang dramatic yung effect sa figure niya! Good thing the voice remained powerful, hehe.

    My signature look when performing is: let-down hair! It's the only time I let my hair down. But I'm careful to keep it away from my face so every expression can be clearly seen. Then I wear pearls or diamond earrings to brighten up the face.

    I think I know your signature look na, Pia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice concert outfit methinks! You will be clearly seen even from the farthest seat, and still look polished up close. I just remembered what sir Behn said about using props/costume that can best be appreciated from afar. What kind of makeup do you use when performing? :D Maybe lipstick so people can see the expression better? And something that makes the face look good under the spotlight?

    I'm afraid I'll have to miss Maria Callas if the last day is today :-( Read in FB that it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! This is so Gabi. Keep it up. Btw, good luck in your concert tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nicole: Yes I actually put very little makeup on when performing (I only take 30 minutes as opposed to the usual 1 hour hahaha). I use vampy red lipstick and black eye liner to emphasize my lips and eyes... so my facial expressions can be clearly seen. I put a bit of eyebrow pencil on, just to make my brows darker so they can be seen from afar. And of course, foundation and some blush so I won't look dead under the lights.

    And then for accessories, drop earrings with a glittery diamond or two are highly recommended! And if you're wearing a plain black gown, a long gold chain necklace neck wouldn't be amiss as well.

    Have you seen my "look" for the Schumann concert? I posted pics on my facebook, hehe. I'm so proud of my hair! That's only water + hair clips, and I did it by myself!!!

    @Pia: Thanks so much! Expect a sequel to this post, this weekend!

    ReplyDelete